Man gets probation for drug conspiracySeptember 03,2014Probation granted
in drug conspiracy
BENNINGTON — A local man received a probationary sentence Tuesday after pleading guilty to being part of a conspiracy to sell cocaine.
Steven L. Barber, 59, of Bennington, pleaded guilty to the felony charge in Bennington criminal court as part of a plea agreement in which the state agreed to dismiss a misdemeanor charge that Barber possessed a depressant drug.
Barber was sentenced to serve one to three years, but all of that time was suspended and he was placed on probation. As part of the sentence, Barber will have to submit to screening and possibly treatment for drug addiction.
Barber was arraigned April 1 as co-defendant with Tina M. Fox, 42, of Bennington. The charges against Fox are pending.
Police said they received information March 26 from a 54-year-old woman saying that she had smoked crack March 24 with Barber in his home and attempted to buy crack from Fox on March 25.
Police were granted a search warrant, which was executed March 31.
According to police, 7 grams of marijuana and six counterfeit $5 bills were found when the Maple Street home was searched.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.