Crews at Pico cleanup after strong winds damage condo complexSeptember 03,2014By Bryanna Allen
KILLINGTON—Powerful winds swept through Pico ski resort around 9:45 p.m. Tuesday during a rainstorm, causing damage to two of the condominium buildings, the base lodge and surrounding trees and signs.
Parts of the condo roofs were torn off, windows were broken and several metal chimney caps—weighing a couple hundred pounds each—were tossed into the parking lot, according to Pico property manager Tom Rock.
Of the combined 60 rooms in the two buildings, only 10 of them were occupied and everyone was evacuated without injury and sent to the Killington Grand Resort Hotel for the time being.
The storm damage in Killington was isolated to the Pico resort area.
“It’s all very strange,” Rock said Wednesday morning. “It was just around here, no damage anywhere else.”
Rock said there is no estimated cost of the repairs as of yet and no next step has been planned.
“We’re just trying to clean up still,” Rock said.
email@example.comMORE IN This Just InA business development study recommends replacing "shop locally" with "you can find it here." Full StorySaturday's women's basketball game between College of St. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.