Man faces felony assault chargeAugust 14,2014Man faces felony assault charge
A Brandon man on Wednesday denied striking a woman repeatedly at his Carver Street home.
John D. Desabrais, 43, pleaded innocent in Rutland criminal court to a felony charge of aggravated domestic assault in the second degree. The aggravated charge was based on a violation of an abuse prevention order placed on Desabrais in March 2010.
Judge Theresa DiMauro set bail at $5,000 for Desabrais who posted that amount and was released. The judge also imposed a condition that prohibits Desabrais from possessing or consuming alcohol.
Brandon Police say they were called to Desabrais’ home at 20 Carver Street at about 11:10 p.m. Tuesday where a woman told police that he had struck her repeatedly and torn her clothes, according to court records.
Asked about the injuries to the woman, Desabrais said he and the woman struck each other during a mutual affray but declined to elaborate on the fight, and police said they found no injuries on Desabrais. The Brandon man also told police he had been drinking throughout the evening and had a blood-alcohol level of 0.161 percent when tested at his home. That level is twice the 0.08 percent legal limit to operate a motor vehicle in Vermont.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.