No jail for woman who took her kid out of stateJuly 25,2014No jail for woman
who fled with kid
BENNINGTON ó A woman who was intercepted in Chicago while fleeing the state with her 4-year-old child in February pleaded guilty to a felony Wednesday, but is not expected to serve any time in prison.
Kaela Holland, 24, of Albany, N.Y., pleaded guilty in Bennington criminal court Wednesday to a felony charge of custodial interference with a child younger than 18.
Under the plea agreement entered Wednesday, Hollandís sentencing will be delayed for five years. If she stays out of legal trouble during that period, Hollandís record will be expunged.
Holland was arrested in February after the father of the child reported that Holland, who lived in Bennington at the time, had left Vermont without his permission.
Holland and the child were found unharmed on an Amtrak train going from New York to Michigan.
Bennington County Stateís Attorney Erica Marthage said in court on Thursday that Holland was now getting treatment in New York, based on drug-related charges she faced in that state, for her drug addiction problems.
Marthage said Hollandís sentencing had been delayed for an unusually long time because it would allow authorities to keep her under observation while the child is still very young.
Judge Nancy Corsones encouraged Holland to work at building a good relationship with her daughter so she would ďdeserve to have (her) record expunged.Ē
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.