Seen on TV, man turns himself inJuly 17,2014Seen on TV, man
turns himself in
BENNINGTON ó Police say a man wanted on a felony sex charge turned himself in to authorities after he saw himself on a television news report that said police were looking for him.
Robert Gibbons, 53, is facing a felony charge of aggravated sexual assault on a child younger than 13, according to a press release sent by Lt. Lloyd Dean of the Bennington Police Department. No information was provided about the details leading to the charge.
Police issued a news release Wednesday saying they were seeking the publicís help in finding Gibbons. A few hours later police issued another release saying Gibbons had turned himself to the Hoosick Falls, N.Y. Police Department. Gibbons reportedly told police he learned he was wanted after seeing himself on a news report.
Gibbons is being held in New York as a fugitive from justice and is expected to be extradited back to Vermont.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.