Former caregiver of couple sentenced for fraudThe Associated Press | July 17,2014BURLINGTON - A former caregiver convicted of stealing more than $65,000 from an elderly Charlotte couple in his care has been sentenced to two years in prison.
Jamie Gene Thompson was charged with defrauding the by using their credit card and withdrawing from their investment account. Authorities said he used the money to pay his own credit card bills.
The Burlington Free Press reported that Thompson was arrested by FBI agents in California in March of 2013.
The FBI says he had become a live-in care provider for Albert Eardensohn and his wife in Charlotte after his release from prison for Social Security fraud in 2010.
Court records show that he previous convictions for grand theft in Idaho and forgery/criminal impersonation in Arizona.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.