Former caregiver of couple sentenced for fraudThe Associated Press | July 17,2014BURLINGTON - A former caregiver convicted of stealing more than $65,000 from an elderly Charlotte couple in his care has been sentenced to two years in prison.
Jamie Gene Thompson was charged with defrauding the by using their credit card and withdrawing from their investment account. Authorities said he used the money to pay his own credit card bills.
The Burlington Free Press reported that Thompson was arrested by FBI agents in California in March of 2013.
The FBI says he had become a live-in care provider for Albert Eardensohn and his wife in Charlotte after his release from prison for Social Security fraud in 2010.
Court records show that he previous convictions for grand theft in Idaho and forgery/criminal impersonation in Arizona.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.