Feds to review
WILLISTON — Federal authorities plan to review the case of a Vermont woman arrested for embezzlement for the second time in four years.
Police say 41-year-old Billie LaFlam Preston of South Burlington, a bookkeeper at a Williston company, was accused last month of stealing $55,000 through the company’s payroll and electronic payment system.
Preston was scheduled to appear in court July 31 but county prosecutor TJ Donovan told the Burlington Free Press that the FBI and the U.S. attorney’s office are now interested in the case after reading a story in the newspaper.
He said the arraignment has been canceled so that federal authorities can review the case.
Preston’s attorney, Robert Kaplan of Burlington, said he did not have a comment about the latest charge.
Williston Police Officer Joshua Moore said the company also experienced about $25,000 in unauthorized electronic money transfers.
Court records show that Preston pleaded guilty in May 2010 to embezzling from University Wholesalers on Main Street in Colchester. She was given a deferred sentence under a plea agreement with the possibility that her embezzlement conviction would be removed from her criminal record if she stayed out of trouble for five years.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — Vermont kept its No. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?