Police: Local man fought respondersJune 26,2014Police said a West Rutland man kicked and bit emergency responders taking him into custody for public intoxication.
Raymond M. Savoie, 24, pleaded innocent in Rutland criminal court to misdemeanor charges of simple assault on a law enforcement officer, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.
Bail was set at $1,500 for Savoie, who posted the amount and was released from jail.
Savoie was arrested Monday night when police were called to Wheeler Avenue in Fair Haven. Police said Savoie showed signs of extreme inebriation.
Savoie kicked and kneed officers trying to put him inside a cruiser, police said. A Poultney emergency medical technician was bit on the arm several others were kicked while Savoie was placed on a stretcher, police said.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.