State police name lieutenant colonelJune 21,2014State police name
Capt. Matthew Birmingham of the Vermont State Police has been promoted to lieutenant colonel and will act as deputy director of the organization.
Birmingham’s promotion from commander of the narcotics investigation unit for the bureau of criminal investigation to lieutenant colonel was effective June 1.
Birmingham has served with the Vermont State Police since 1998.
State police say the last lieutenant colonel — James Baker — was appointed in 2006. Baker retired from the Vermont State Police in 2009. He is now police chief in Rutland.
Col. Tom L’Esperance, the director of the Vermont State Police, says the promotion will help to continue “building the Vermont State Police as a leader in Vermont’s public safety, while creating management continuity as the department goes through significant attrition of our command staff.”MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.