Crash leads to felony chargeJune 11,2014Crash leads to
BENNINGTON — A local man is facing a felony charge after police said his “unreasonable” driving injured a passenger in his car during a crash.
Shane L. Wilkinson, 20, of Bennington, pleaded innocent Monday in Bennington criminal court to a felony count of grossly negligent operation with a serious injury resulting. Wilkinson was released without bail.
In an affidavit, Officer Jason Burnham of the Bennington Police Department said he was dispatched to a one-vehicle crash on South Stream Road, near Coleville Road, in Bennington on May 15 around 6:30 p.m.
When he got to the scene, Burnham said there was a woman, Jessica Gilbert, 29, laying on the ground screaming and saying she couldn’t move her legs. Burnham said he also noticed Wilkinson, who he knew from past professional encounters, yelling, “I am going to be blamed for this,” among other things.
Burnham said police determined that Wilkinson was driving a 2002 Subaru Legacy north on South Stream Road when he crashed while trying to pass another vehicle. Based on a crash reconstruction investigation, police said Wilkinson was speeding.
Burnham said Gilbert told him May 26 that she injured her ribs and cracked her tailbone in the crash.MORE IN This Just InBENNINGTON — A man is accused of crashing his car in Winhall on May 11 and then leaving the... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.