Police: Woman hurt after hitting truckJune 11,2014Police: Woman hurt
after hitting truck
A Proctor woman was hurt when she rear-ended a trailer on Route 4 in Rutland Town, according to Vermont State Police.
Police said Jessica C. Ellis, 27, was driving her 2006 Honda civic west near the Quarter Line Overpass at about 7 a.m. Tuesday, when she hit the back of a 2005 Volvo tractor-trailer driven by James Haggerty, 52, of Londonderry, N.H.
Police said the truck had slowed while climbing an extended hill.
Police said Ellis suffered an injury to her ankle. An 8-year-old riding in the car with her was taken to the hospital as a precaution but was unhurt ó a fact police attributed to the child being properly secured in a booster seat with a lap and shoulder belt. Haggerty was also uninjured, according to police.
Ellisí car sustained damage to the front hood, windshield and front side panels, according to police, while the truck had minor damage to its rear bumper. Police said the low safety bumper on the trailer kept Ellisí car from going under the larger vehicle, which would have caused further injury.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.