Authorities probe Springfield shooting; 3 taken to hospitalJune 11,2014By Brent Curtis
Three people were taken to Springfield Hospital today following a shooting on Summer Street and police are searching a remote road in the eastern part of town for suspects who were involved.
At about 3:35 p.m. police and ambulance personnel were claled to 47 Summer St. overlooking the downtown for reports of multiple gunshots.
Three people were taken to Springfield Hospital, according to Springfield Select Board Chairman Kristi Morris, and at least one person was airlifted to Darthmouth-Hichcock Medical Center in Lebanon. N.H.
Morris, who also works as an emergency medical technician and assisted ambulance crews at the scene, said that all three arrived alive at the hospital. He also said he observed gunshot wounds to some of the victims, but not all of the victims.
By 5:30 p.m. police were still at the scene and were searching Route 143 East for an unknown number of suspects.
Springfield Police Chief Doug Johnston said there was no risk to public safety.
Police also arrested a woman at a downtown pizzeria, about 100 yards from the scene of the shootings. Her identity was unknown. She was led from the restaurant in handcuffs.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.