Authorities probe Springfield shooting; 3 taken to hospitalJune 11,2014By Brent Curtis
Three people were taken to Springfield Hospital today following a shooting on Summer Street and police are searching a remote road in the eastern part of town for suspects who were involved.
At about 3:35 p.m. police and ambulance personnel were claled to 47 Summer St. overlooking the downtown for reports of multiple gunshots.
Three people were taken to Springfield Hospital, according to Springfield Select Board Chairman Kristi Morris, and at least one person was airlifted to Darthmouth-Hichcock Medical Center in Lebanon. N.H.
Morris, who also works as an emergency medical technician and assisted ambulance crews at the scene, said that all three arrived alive at the hospital. He also said he observed gunshot wounds to some of the victims, but not all of the victims.
By 5:30 p.m. police were still at the scene and were searching Route 143 East for an unknown number of suspects.
Springfield Police Chief Doug Johnston said there was no risk to public safety.
Police also arrested a woman at a downtown pizzeria, about 100 yards from the scene of the shootings. Her identity was unknown. She was led from the restaurant in handcuffs.MORE IN This Just InDearest farm, with your well-worked fields full of food, I love you. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.