Authorities probe Springfield shooting; 3 taken to hospitalJune 11,2014By Brent Curtis
Three people were taken to Springfield Hospital today following a shooting on Summer Street and police are searching a remote road in the eastern part of town for suspects who were involved.
At about 3:35 p.m. police and ambulance personnel were claled to 47 Summer St. overlooking the downtown for reports of multiple gunshots.
Three people were taken to Springfield Hospital, according to Springfield Select Board Chairman Kristi Morris, and at least one person was airlifted to Darthmouth-Hichcock Medical Center in Lebanon. N.H.
Morris, who also works as an emergency medical technician and assisted ambulance crews at the scene, said that all three arrived alive at the hospital. He also said he observed gunshot wounds to some of the victims, but not all of the victims.
By 5:30 p.m. police were still at the scene and were searching Route 143 East for an unknown number of suspects.
Springfield Police Chief Doug Johnston said there was no risk to public safety.
Police also arrested a woman at a downtown pizzeria, about 100 yards from the scene of the shootings. Her identity was unknown. She was led from the restaurant in handcuffs.MORE IN This Just InGarret Keizer, a contributing editor at Harperís magazine, had good reason for toiling a year as ... Full StoryMONTPELIER — Health care, economic development and the duties of the office are issues of... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1871, After long summer drought comes simultaneous devastating upper Midwest wildfires; Chicago city center in ruins; in 1967, after brief firefight, Ernesto 'Che' Guevara captured alive in Bolivian jungle camp.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City aldermen discuss future of recreation department facilities, three bears killed in interstate crash, town school principal rewards students' good reading habits, fight at city jail sends a man to hospital.