Woman accused of embezzlingMay 17,2014Woman accused
BENNINGTON — Vermont State Police say they’ve arrested two people in connection with a fraud and embezzlement investigation at a Shaftsbury plumbing company.
They’ve arrested 36-year-old Lisa Taber and her husband, Jeremy.
Police have accused Taber, of Hoosick Falls, N.Y., of using funds from the Latif Plumbing and Heating LLC business account to pay her cable, power and credit card bills, and property taxes. She was hired last year to handle payroll, taxes, invoices and company bills.
The business owner said he was forced to lay off workers and hadn’t turned a profit for months.
Authorities suspect more than $48,000 was taken.
Taber has been accused of numerous counts of embezzlement. Her husband has been accused of issuing threats against the company owner.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.