Raiders tennis wins on senior dayMay 17,2014GIRLS TENNIS
Rutland 5, Springfield 2
The Rutland girls celebrated senior day with a victory over the Cosmos, a Division II team with an 8-3 record.
Division I Rutland improved to 11-2.
Caitlin Hanley, Ktristen Switzer, Melanie Hubbard, Sarah Nadler, Kelsey Bullock, Amber Thomas and Christina Lovett are the Rutland seniors.
Hanley had a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Kiana Nelson, Switzer defeated Erin Chlebak 6-2, 6-3, and Megan Nadler defeated Kendra Dana 7-6 (10), 6-3 in singles, where the Cosmosí Kylie Bellows defeated Hubbard 6-4, 2-6, 11-9, and Lexie Bellows defeated Sarah Nadler 6-3, 6-0.
Rutland swept the doubles, with Bullock and Thomas topping Katie Worth and Jenn Anders, 6-0, 6-0, and Lovett and Christie Calabrese beating Emilia Battista and Sadie Rice 6-1, 6-2.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.