Raiders tennis wins on senior dayMay 17,2014GIRLS TENNIS
Rutland 5, Springfield 2
The Rutland girls celebrated senior day with a victory over the Cosmos, a Division II team with an 8-3 record.
Division I Rutland improved to 11-2.
Caitlin Hanley, Ktristen Switzer, Melanie Hubbard, Sarah Nadler, Kelsey Bullock, Amber Thomas and Christina Lovett are the Rutland seniors.
Hanley had a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Kiana Nelson, Switzer defeated Erin Chlebak 6-2, 6-3, and Megan Nadler defeated Kendra Dana 7-6 (10), 6-3 in singles, where the Cosmos’ Kylie Bellows defeated Hubbard 6-4, 2-6, 11-9, and Lexie Bellows defeated Sarah Nadler 6-3, 6-0.
Rutland swept the doubles, with Bullock and Thomas topping Katie Worth and Jenn Anders, 6-0, 6-0, and Lovett and Christie Calabrese beating Emilia Battista and Sadie Rice 6-1, 6-2.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.