Five U.S. senators, including Sens. Patrick Leahy and Bernard Sander of Vermont, have sent a letter to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to protest what they called the “unwise policy” of allowing decommissioning nuclear reactors to be exempt from emergency response regulations.
Also signing the letter were Sen. Edward J. Markey, D-Mass., Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., and Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., who is the chairwoman of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee.
Vermont Yankee is slated to shut down in December 2014, and after that time would be exempt from much of the emergency planning required of nuclear reactors by the NRC.
It is one of five nuclear reactors that either have shut down this year or will do so in the near future.
The senators noted that in most cases decades of high-level radioactive waste still remained in the spent fuel pool at the nuclear reactors, and posed a significant risk.
The letter was sent to Allison M. Macfarlane, chairwoman of the NRC.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.