Man accused of robbing bank twice in a weekApril 29,2014The Associated Press
ST. ALBANS - A Vermont man has been arraigned on federal charges of robbing a bank.
Police said the People's United Bank in St. Albans was robbed twice last week. A man jumped over the counter both times to take money from two bank drawers.
The St. Albans Messenger reports (http://bit.ly/1khFJOz) he escaped with over $2,100 Monday and nearly $3,000 Thursday. In that robbery, a bank security guard tackled the man.
In the second robbery, the suspect was wearing a sweatshirt with eyeholes cut into the hood. In the first, security footage showed eyeholes in the back of the suspect's hoodie.
Thirty-three-year-old Travis Merritt of St. Albans was arraigned Monday. An affidavit said he confessed to both robberies.
Merritt has been assigned a public defender and was scheduled for a hearing Tuesday.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.