Bryce Irving DavisApril 29,2014
Bryce Irving Davis
NORTH CLARENDON — Bryce Irving Davis, 92, of North Clarendon, VT, died April 25, 2014, at The Pines of Rutland. He was born June 12, 1923, in Pittsfield, VT, the son of Earl Nichols and Catherine (Smith) Davis.
Mr. Davis graduated from Whitcomb High School, class of 1940, Castleton Normal School and was a teacher, elementary school principal and school baseball coach
A WWII Army Air Corps veteran, he also served for many years in the Civil Defense program.
Later, he owned and operated the Davis Shell Service Station from 1955-1970. He also worked for G.H. Grimm and delivered fuel for Merrill Trucking Company.
He enjoyed hiking, jack-jumping, spending time at hunting camp in Shrewsbury, VT, with family and friends, and his many years as a Boy Scout Troop leader.
On January 26, 1947, he married Patricia Jean Spaulding in the Wallingford Congregational Church.
A former member of Grace Congregational UCC, he most recently attended The Old Brick Church in North Clarendon.
Survivors include his wife, Patricia Davis of North Clarendon, VT; three daughters, Carolyn Peters of Fayetteville, AR, Catherine Guarente of East Kingston, NH and Susan Haas of Pittsford, VT; three sons, William Davis of Rutland, VT, James Davis of Parrish, FL and John Davis of Concord, NH; a brother, Donald Davis of AZ; 13 grandchildren; 11 great-grandchildren; 3 great-great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.
He was predeceased by 4 brothers, Earle Davis, Jr., Frank Davis, Douglas Davis and Theodore Davis.
A celebration of life service will be held at 2 p.m. Friday, May 2, 2014, in The Old Brick Church, with the Rev. William Kingsley, pastor, officiating.
Burial will be held in the East Clarendon Cemetery.
Memorial contributions may be made to The Old Brick Church, 298 Middle Road, North Clarendon, VT 05759; or the Rutland County Humane Society, 765 Stevens Road, Pittsford, VT 05763.
Arrangements are under the direction of Tossing Funeral Home.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?