Two men charged in guns, drug caseApril 25,2014Two men charged
in guns, drug case
BURLINGTON — Two Vermont men are facing federal charges stemming from the theft of firearms from a Hardwick gun store and the trading of some of those guns for drugs.
The U.S. attorney’s office said 26-year-old Larry Garrow and 29-year-old Albert Torres-Morales, both of Richford, made initial appearances in court Wednesday and were ordered held pending another court appearance.
Prosecutors said Garrow burglarized the Rite Way Sports Shop in Hardwick on April 19 and stole 32 firearms.
It was later determined he kept some of the guns and gave the rest to Torres-Morales in exchange for money and drugs.
The two were arrested Tuesday.
Police have recovered 11 of the stolen guns. The rest remain missing.
Garrow’s attorney had no comment. Torres-Morales’s attorney did not return a call seeking comment.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?