Vt. unemployment 2nd lowest in USApril 19,2014Vt. unemployment
2nd lowest in US
Gov. Peter Shumlin says the latest unemployment statistics show Vermont now has the second lowest unemployment rate in the country.
The Vermont Department of Labor announced Friday the state’s unemployment rate dropped three-tenths of a percent last month to 3.4 percent.
Shumlin said it’s the lowest unemployment rate the state has seen since June 2005.
The governor’s office cites national statistics that show only North Dakota has a lower unemployment rate than Vermont.
Labor Commissioner Annie Noonan said a goal for her department now is helping employers find workers.
Unemployment in the state’s 17 labor markets ranged from a low of 2.4 percent in Warren-Waitsfield to 6.6 percent in Newport.
Shumlin said the rate is a reflection of a skilled work force, great schools, a “remarkable quality of life.”
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.