Police: Woman embezzled $1,700 from storeApril 16,2014Woman accused
BENNINGTON ó A Castleton woman is facing a felony charge after police said she took more than $1,700 while working at a Manchester jewelry store between August and November.
Hannah B. York, 30, of Castleton, pleaded innocent to the charge Monday in Bennington criminal court. She was released without bail.
Officer Paul McGann of the Manchester Police Department said in an affidavit that Linda Robillard, owner of Hidden Jewel on Main Street in Manchester, reported her suspicions on Nov. 26.
A police review of the storeís records began on Feb. 21. McGann and Robillard found more than a dozen alleged incidents which indicated embezzlement.
McGann said York met with him at the Manchester Police Station on Feb. 7 and denied taking any money illegally.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.