Man charged with trying to smuggle pot into jailApril 01,2014Police: N.Y. man
brought pot to jail
A New York man has been charged with trying to smuggle a small amount of marijuana into the Rutland jail, according to Vermont State Police.
Fred T. Lyons, 20, of New York City, was arrested Feb. 27 and charged with helping bring prescription painkillers to Vermont to sell for the past two-and-a-half years. He was arraigned on those charges in Bennington criminal court and ordered jailed for lack of $35,000 bail.
Following his arrest on those charges, he was taken to jail, where police said less than a gram of marijuana was found on his person.
Lyons was issued a citation to appear in Rutland criminal court later this month to answer to a misdemeanor charge of transporting drugs into a jail.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?