Brandon man charged with arson on own houseBy Brent Curtis
Staff Writer | April 01,2014State Police Photo
Ethan McArdleBRANDON - Vermont State Police say a fire at a home on Carver Street Monday was an act of arson.
After firefighters doused a blaze at 59 Carver Street Monday morning, police arrested one of the home's owners, 33-year-old
Ethan McArdle and charged him with first degree arson and reckless endangerment.
The fire at the home was the second in a 24-hour period, police say. The first fire was in the basement and was quickly put out on Sunday.
The second, which started on the home's second floor, was fully involved when firefighters arrived at the scene. That fire was put out before the home could be destroyed and a fire investigator with the state police was called to examine the scene along with an accelerant sniffing police dog.
The investigation revealed the fire on Monday was intentionally set.
McArdle was issued a citation to appear in court at a later date.
Anyone with information about the blaze is asked to call state police Detective. Sgt. David Sutton at 773-9101.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.