Warrant issued in car money theft
BARRE — A warrant has been issued for a Wallingford man who missed his hearing on charges he stole $2,500 from Poulin Auto Sales in Barre.
Jeffrey Smyrski, 45, is facing a felony charge of grand larceny and a misdemeanor charge of petit larceny in Washington County criminal court in Barre. If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of 11 years in prison and a $1,500 fine.
According to the police affidavit, Smyrski worked at Poulin Auto from August 2011 until April 29, 2012, when sales manager Dominic Martin told police Smyrski failed to show up for work.
Police say Smyrski was given $2,500 in cash by a customer April 28, 2012, as the down payment on a Dodge truck. Martin told police that according to company procedure, Smyrski should have given the money to the company’s secretary but failed to do so and didn’t give the customer a receipt.
Smyrski was scheduled to have a status conference on the case Monday but failed to show up. Judge Thomas Zonay issued a $1,000 arrest warrant for Smyrski.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — U.S. Sen. Full StoryAUGUSTA, Maine — FairPoint worker Jeff Dorn has already told his children that Christmas is going... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.