Warrant issued in car money theft
BARRE — A warrant has been issued for a Wallingford man who missed his hearing on charges he stole $2,500 from Poulin Auto Sales in Barre.
Jeffrey Smyrski, 45, is facing a felony charge of grand larceny and a misdemeanor charge of petit larceny in Washington County criminal court in Barre. If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of 11 years in prison and a $1,500 fine.
According to the police affidavit, Smyrski worked at Poulin Auto from August 2011 until April 29, 2012, when sales manager Dominic Martin told police Smyrski failed to show up for work.
Police say Smyrski was given $2,500 in cash by a customer April 28, 2012, as the down payment on a Dodge truck. Martin told police that according to company procedure, Smyrski should have given the money to the company’s secretary but failed to do so and didn’t give the customer a receipt.
Smyrski was scheduled to have a status conference on the case Monday but failed to show up. Judge Thomas Zonay issued a $1,000 arrest warrant for Smyrski.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Nelson Mandela on the primacy of teaching love over hate.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.