Warrant issued in car money theft
BARRE ó A warrant has been issued for a Wallingford man who missed his hearing on charges he stole $2,500 from Poulin Auto Sales in Barre.
Jeffrey Smyrski, 45, is facing a felony charge of grand larceny and a misdemeanor charge of petit larceny in Washington County criminal court in Barre. If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of 11 years in prison and a $1,500 fine.
According to the police affidavit, Smyrski worked at Poulin Auto from August 2011 until April 29, 2012, when sales manager Dominic Martin told police Smyrski failed to show up for work.
Police say Smyrski was given $2,500 in cash by a customer April 28, 2012, as the down payment on a Dodge truck. Martin told police that according to company procedure, Smyrski should have given the money to the companyís secretary but failed to do so and didnít give the customer a receipt.
Smyrski was scheduled to have a status conference on the case Monday but failed to show up. Judge Thomas Zonay issued a $1,000 arrest warrant for Smyrski.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.