Warrant issued in car money theft
BARRE — A warrant has been issued for a Wallingford man who missed his hearing on charges he stole $2,500 from Poulin Auto Sales in Barre.
Jeffrey Smyrski, 45, is facing a felony charge of grand larceny and a misdemeanor charge of petit larceny in Washington County criminal court in Barre. If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of 11 years in prison and a $1,500 fine.
According to the police affidavit, Smyrski worked at Poulin Auto from August 2011 until April 29, 2012, when sales manager Dominic Martin told police Smyrski failed to show up for work.
Police say Smyrski was given $2,500 in cash by a customer April 28, 2012, as the down payment on a Dodge truck. Martin told police that according to company procedure, Smyrski should have given the money to the company’s secretary but failed to do so and didn’t give the customer a receipt.
Smyrski was scheduled to have a status conference on the case Monday but failed to show up. Judge Thomas Zonay issued a $1,000 arrest warrant for Smyrski.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — Vermont has tied for third place in the 2014 energy efficiency scorecard put out by... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.