Woman accused of embezzlingMarch 28,2014Woman accused
BENNINGTON ó A local woman is facing a felony charge of embezzlement that police said took place while she was working at Kmart in Bennington from Jan. 20 to Feb. 15.
Lauren R. Pronto, 22, of Bennington, pleaded innocent to the charge Monday in Bennington criminal court. She was released without bail.
Police said they were called March 1 by Kmartís loss-prevention officer, Derek Lanz.
Lanz said Pronto, while working a cash register, had shortchanged customers by $20 on two separate occasions and later took the money from the register and kept it.
Lanz said this happened Jan. 20 and Feb. 15.
Lanz told police that Pronto admitted to taking the money and also taking $11.59 worth of candy and soda, bringing the total loss to the store to $51.59.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1520, Ferdinand Magellan is first European to navigate passage that bears his name from the Atlantic to the Pacific sea; in 1582, Will Shakespeare, Anne Hathaway secure their marriage license with 40 pound bond.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.