Woman accused of embezzlingMarch 28,2014Woman accused
BENNINGTON — A local woman is facing a felony charge of embezzlement that police said took place while she was working at Kmart in Bennington from Jan. 20 to Feb. 15.
Lauren R. Pronto, 22, of Bennington, pleaded innocent to the charge Monday in Bennington criminal court. She was released without bail.
Police said they were called March 1 by Kmart’s loss-prevention officer, Derek Lanz.
Lanz said Pronto, while working a cash register, had shortchanged customers by $20 on two separate occasions and later took the money from the register and kept it.
Lanz said this happened Jan. 20 and Feb. 15.
Lanz told police that Pronto admitted to taking the money and also taking $11.59 worth of candy and soda, bringing the total loss to the store to $51.59.MORE IN This Just InWASHINGTON — Congress ran full-tilt into election-year gridlock over immigration Thursday and... Full StoryREADSBORO — A longtime feud between neighbors may have led to an incident last month during which... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.