FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — Patriots nose tackle Vince Wilfork says he’s closer to achieving his goal of finishing his career with New England.
The 10-year veteran who missed most of last season with a torn Achilles’ tendon has tweeted that he looks forward to returning to football and helping his team have a chance to win a Super Bowl.
Wilfork originally had balked at the Patriots attempt to restructure his contract to lessen the salary cap hit.
He tweeted amid reports that he had agreed to restructure his contract. The Patriots usually do not announce contract restructurings.
“It’s been hard to remain quiet and let things take its course but it has been the best thing to do,” Wilfork tweeted Thursday. “Negotiations are never easy especially when you have a 10 year history with a team and more importantly relationships. For those who have supported me I thank you, for those who have called me every name in the book I thank you too.
“My intentions have never changed,” he wrote. “10 years ago my goal was to retire a patriot and as I sit here typing this I am closer to achieving my goal. I look forward to getting back to football and helping my team compete and have a chance at winning a Super Bowl.”
At the bottom of the tweet was a reproduction of the top of a standard NFL Player Contract with his name and that of the New England Patriots.MORE IN Wire Sports
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Ensisheim meteorite falls into Alsatian wheatfield, 1665, first issue of London Gazette, 1874, Thomas Nast cartoon features elephant as GOP symbol, 1907, Jesus Garcia saves town from burning dynamite boxcar.