Mediator used in dam disputeMarch 24,2014Staff Report
VERNON — Two Vermont towns on the Connecticut River and the energy giant TransCanada will use a mediator as part of an effort to agree on the value of hydroelectric dams in Vernon and Rockingham so they can avoid a trial.
A spokesman for TransCanada Hydro Northeast said the company is appealing an “increase in property taxes” on four Vermont generating stations, Vernon and Rockingham, and two in the Northeast Kingdom.
The state and town appraise the Vernon dam at almost $40 million. TransCanada claims it’s worth just under $21 million. Vermont appraises the Bellows Falls dam at $108 million, TransCanada says $62 million.
TransCanada’s Davis Sheremata told the Brattleboro Reformer that they’re hopeful for a settlement.
Vernon attorney Richard Coutant said he doesn’t know how flexible the company will be.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.