Charge denied in roadside drug bustBy Eric Francis
Correspondent | March 24,2014WHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A South Londonderry man is facing a felony heroin possession charge as the result of a routine traffic stop that took place a month ago in Chester.
Ryan Magoon, 25, pleaded innocent to the charge last week in White River Junction criminal court.
Magoon was a passenger in a pickup that was stopped Feb. 10 for running a stop sign at the intersection of routes 11 and 103 in Chester. Vermont State Police Trooper Eric Vitali said he became suspicious because Magoon’s hands were shaking and he avoided eye contact.
Vitali said Magoon and the woman who was driving the truck each admitted they had driven to Springfield that day to buy a “bundle” of 10 bags of heroin from a local dealer for $120.
Vitali said a search of the pair turned up two small glassine bags of heroin in the driver’s pockets and seven bags of heroin were found in Magoon’s socks and his jacket.
Magoon allegedly told police he’d smoked marijuana earlier in the day and had snorted the 10th bag of heroin from the bundle while still at the dealer’s residence.
Magoon was convicted of reckless endangerment last fall and has prior convictions for violating abuse prevention orders, disorderly conduct, and violating conditions of release.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?