Man jailed on domestic assault chargeMarch 19,2014Man jailed on
A Rutland man is behind bars after facing a second charge of domestic abuse in little more than a month.
Whalen D. Goucher, 45, pleaded innocent in Rutland criminal court Tuesday to misdemeanor counts of domestic assault, operation of a motor vehicle without owner’s consent, petty larceny and violating court ordered conditions from a charge of felony aggravated domestic assault brought against him in early February.
Judge Theresa DiMauro set bail at $5,000 for Goucher.
Rutland City Police say a woman told police Goucher choked her and hit her before stealing her car, purse and cellular phone on March 15.
The car and the woman’s possessions were quickly recovered, but Goucher was not immediately arrested. During phone conversations with police on Sunday and Monday, Goucher told police he planned to go into hiding and they would need to shoot him, and there would be a “shootout” if authorities tried to take him into custody, according to court records.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.