Man jailed on domestic assault chargeMarch 19,2014Man jailed on
A Rutland man is behind bars after facing a second charge of domestic abuse in little more than a month.
Whalen D. Goucher, 45, pleaded innocent in Rutland criminal court Tuesday to misdemeanor counts of domestic assault, operation of a motor vehicle without owner’s consent, petty larceny and violating court ordered conditions from a charge of felony aggravated domestic assault brought against him in early February.
Judge Theresa DiMauro set bail at $5,000 for Goucher.
Rutland City Police say a woman told police Goucher choked her and hit her before stealing her car, purse and cellular phone on March 15.
The car and the woman’s possessions were quickly recovered, but Goucher was not immediately arrested. During phone conversations with police on Sunday and Monday, Goucher told police he planned to go into hiding and they would need to shoot him, and there would be a “shootout” if authorities tried to take him into custody, according to court records.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.