Man jailed on domestic assault chargeMarch 19,2014Man jailed on
A Rutland man is behind bars after facing a second charge of domestic abuse in little more than a month.
Whalen D. Goucher, 45, pleaded innocent in Rutland criminal court Tuesday to misdemeanor counts of domestic assault, operation of a motor vehicle without owner’s consent, petty larceny and violating court ordered conditions from a charge of felony aggravated domestic assault brought against him in early February.
Judge Theresa DiMauro set bail at $5,000 for Goucher.
Rutland City Police say a woman told police Goucher choked her and hit her before stealing her car, purse and cellular phone on March 15.
The car and the woman’s possessions were quickly recovered, but Goucher was not immediately arrested. During phone conversations with police on Sunday and Monday, Goucher told police he planned to go into hiding and they would need to shoot him, and there would be a “shootout” if authorities tried to take him into custody, according to court records.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.