Officials rescue three lost hikersMarch 10,2014Officials rescue
three lost hikers
SOMERSET — Vermont State Police say three hikers were rescued Saturday night from the East Branch Trail in Somerset.
The rescue efforts began after police received a 911 call at about 4 p.m. Saturday from a hiker who said she got separated from her three companions. She said the three had not made it back to their meeting point at the Somerset Reservoir.
Police said the three lost hikers were all over the age of 70 and were not familiar with the densely wooded trail in the Green Mountain National Forest. Police added that the lost hikers did not have snowshoes and were also not equipped to be in the woods overnight.
Rescuers from the Wilmington Fire Department and Deerfield Valley Rescue located the hikers at about 6:30 p.m. Saturday and escorted them 2.5 miles down the trail, reaching the trailhead at about 10 p.m.
The hikers were not injured.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.