Shumlin calls for wage increaseMarch 10,2014The Associated Press
MONTPELIER -- Vermont Gov. Peter Shumlin is calling for lawmakers to incrementally raise the state minimum wage to $10.10 by 2017.
Shumlin, speaking Monday at Bear Pond Books in Montpelier, said the increase would ensure all Vermonters enjoy a piece of the economic recovery.
Shumlin said the state Legislature's leadership agreed with his proposal and would be working on the details of a bill.
Last Wednesday, President Barack Obama spotlighted minimum wage increases during a rally in Connecticut. Shumlin attended, joining the governors from Connecticut, Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
Vermont's current minimum wage is $8.73. The federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour.MORE IN This Just InWASHINGTON — Two senior Islamic State group leaders were killed in U.S. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Christmas bombing of North Vietnam ordered by President Richard Nixon, most lethal strikes of the war; in 1989, U.S. invades Panama to depose, arrest and charge Gen. Manuel Noriega with drug trafficking, racketeering.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Gov. Peter Shumlin announces demise of his single-payer health insurance initiative; convicted first-degree murderer Alan Prue sentenced to 50 years for killing teacher Melissa Jenkins; veterans chafed about park naming snub.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 497 BC, first Saturnalia festival celebrated in Rome, Scandinavians retain 'Yule Goat' as symbol of season, Krampus, evil side of holiday cheer, terrorizes children into better behavior, more advice from Christopher Hitchens.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 533 AD, Byzantine Emperor Justinian I gets the old empire back together again routing the Vandals from Carthage; in 1890, Lakota Chief Sitting Bull is killed at his home in South Dakota; in 1970, Soviets land probe on Venus.
- DUANE CARLETON: Rutland Herald Events Editor George Nostrand interviews musician Duane Carleton, whose new CD 'A GIRL LIKE THAT' drops Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, and will be celebrated that evening with a show at 9:30 p.m. at Killington's Pickle Barrel.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Sigisimund, king of Hungary, creates Order of the Dragon to defend the West against Ottoman Turks; Chong Ho escorts 300 virgins to China; J. Bruce Ismay born this day, built Titanic, gets free trip, does not go down with the ship.