Shumlin calls for wage increaseMarch 10,2014The Associated Press
MONTPELIER -- Vermont Gov. Peter Shumlin is calling for lawmakers to incrementally raise the state minimum wage to $10.10 by 2017.
Shumlin, speaking Monday at Bear Pond Books in Montpelier, said the increase would ensure all Vermonters enjoy a piece of the economic recovery.
Shumlin said the state Legislature's leadership agreed with his proposal and would be working on the details of a bill.
Last Wednesday, President Barack Obama spotlighted minimum wage increases during a rally in Connecticut. Shumlin attended, joining the governors from Connecticut, Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
Vermont's current minimum wage is $8.73. The federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Giles Corey of Salem, Mass., is pressed to death during the Salem witch trials; on this day in 1952, film comedian Charlie Chaplin, while traveling to England, is denied re-entry into the United States by U.S. attorney general.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Dutch father of microbiology Antonie van Leeuwenhoek discovers the existence of one-celled organisms; in 1967, The Doors are booked to play the Ed Sullivan show; in 1858, freedom fighter Dred Scott dies on this day in St. Louis.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No money this year for western rail project, Lola Aiken memorialized in Montpelier, Supreme Court Castleton murder suspect will remain in jail, Shaftbury man fires shots from his AK-47 into neighbor's home.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1959, Soviet Premier Nikita S. Khrushchev arrives in U.S. for historic 13-day visit; in 1987, Secretary of State George Shultz and Soviet Foreign Minister Eduard Shevardnadze sign nuclear reduction agreement.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City celebrates completion of its newest mural, on West Street opposite the post office, more than $2 million in federal grants will bolster Vermont's health centers, Patrick McArdle reports on pending sale of Vermont papers.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Henry Hudson sails up the Hudson River as far as present-day Albany, Leo Szilard has epiphany waiting for the light to change, 3 kids report a West Virginia close encounter in 1952.