Fire breaks out at Flory's PlazaMarch 09,2014Anthony Edwards / Staff Photo
Firefighters arrive on scene to battle a smokey blaze at the site of a former motel at Flory's Plaza.Staff Report
A structure broke out at Flory's Plaza, the site of the former motel, at about 4:30 p.m.
Several fire crews have been called to the scene including Rutland Town, Proctor and West Rutland. Tanker trucks from towns including Castleton, Chittenden, Ira and Wallingford, have also been called to provide water at the scene.
Rutland Town police closed Route 4A in Center Rutland between Simmons Avenue and West Proctor Road on Sunday afternoon as crews battled the blaze. Motorists were advised to take an alternate route.
We will bring you more information as it becomes available.MORE IN This Just InA business development study recommends replacing "shop locally" with "you can find it here." Full StorySaturday's women's basketball game between College of St. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.