Fire breaks out at Flory's PlazaMarch 09,2014Anthony Edwards / Staff Photo
Firefighters arrive on scene to battle a smokey blaze at the site of a former motel at Flory's Plaza.Staff Report
A structure broke out at Flory's Plaza, the site of the former motel, at about 4:30 p.m.
Several fire crews have been called to the scene including Rutland Town, Proctor and West Rutland. Tanker trucks from towns including Castleton, Chittenden, Ira and Wallingford, have also been called to provide water at the scene.
Rutland Town police closed Route 4A in Center Rutland between Simmons Avenue and West Proctor Road on Sunday afternoon as crews battled the blaze. Motorists were advised to take an alternate route.
We will bring you more information as it becomes available.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.