Man charged for hitting tree, blocking trafficFebruary 24,2014Police: Driver hits
tree, blocks traffic
POWNAL — A local driver is facing criminal and civil actions after allegedly hitting a tree that fell and blocked traffic.
Danny Briggs, 42, is scheduled to appear March 31 in Bennington criminal court to answer a charge of leaving the scene of a crash. According to state police, at approximately 12:30 a.m. Saturday, Briggs was driving on Middle Pownal Road near Horseshoe Lane when he hit a patch of ice and lost control of his 1996 Subaru Impreza, which went off the east side of the road and struck a tree.
According to police, the tree fell across the road and blocked traffic in both directions. Police said Briggs left the scene and could not be located until the following day. Briggs was not injured, but his car sustained extensive front-end damage, according to police.
In addition to the criminal charge, Briggs was issued citations for numerous civil violations.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.