Homicide victims identified as West Haven father and sonFebruary 13,2014Police photo
Sylvester LabartinoStaff Report
State police arrested Sylvester Labartino, 70, of Hubbardton, this morning on two counts of second-degree murder.
Labartino is charged with the deaths of a father and son, identified by sister Michelle Charron as Shane and Chris Plummer of West Haven, in Labartino's residence at 578 Route 30 in Hubbardton yesterday afternoon.
He is being held at the Marble Valley Regional Correctional Facility for a lack of $1 million bail; and is scheduled to be arraigned at Rutland County Superior Court Criminal Division today at 12:30 p.m.
The investigation began soon after police radio dispatches Wednesday afternoon reported a 911 call about a possible shooting at the residence.
Troopers from the Vermont State Police Rutland Barracks, along with emergency medical personnel and officers from the Department of Motor Vehicles, Fair Haven Police Department and Castleton Police Department responded immediately and located the residence where the shooting occurred; they found two dead men outside the house.
Police began looking for a white Ford Bronco that belonged to Labartino; a short time later the truck was spotted traveling north on Route 30 in Castleton. Fair Haven Police Chief William Humphries said he stopped the Ford Bronco just north of North Road on Route 30.
Labartino was driving the truck; he was taken into custody and later to the Rutland State Police barracks.
The victims were taken to the Medical Examiner's office for autopsy; preliminary assessment at the scene found they had been shot.
Vermont State Police are asking for anyone who observed a white Ford Bronco II, bearing Vermont registration EMM973, during the afternoon of Wednesday, February 12, 2014 in the areas of Hubbardton, Castleton, or Fair Haven, to please contact the state police at 802-773-9101 or may submit an anonymous tip to www.vtips.info or send a text to "CRIMES" (274637) with keyword: VTIPS.MORE IN This Just InBig movie day at Town Hall Theater Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Fracking linked to 100-fold increase in Oklahoma earthquakes.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Roswell: Weather balloon, invasion from outer space or primitive spy op? You decide. Francis Gary Powers faces the music on this day and it's Russian pop hits, Elisabeth Kubler-Ross born this day and the Mahatma eschews violence.