Homicide victims identified as West Haven father and sonFebruary 13,2014Police photo
Sylvester LabartinoStaff Report
State police arrested Sylvester Labartino, 70, of Hubbardton, this morning on two counts of second-degree murder.
Labartino is charged with the deaths of a father and son, identified by sister Michelle Charron as Shane and Chris Plummer of West Haven, in Labartino's residence at 578 Route 30 in Hubbardton yesterday afternoon.
He is being held at the Marble Valley Regional Correctional Facility for a lack of $1 million bail; and is scheduled to be arraigned at Rutland County Superior Court Criminal Division today at 12:30 p.m.
The investigation began soon after police radio dispatches Wednesday afternoon reported a 911 call about a possible shooting at the residence.
Troopers from the Vermont State Police Rutland Barracks, along with emergency medical personnel and officers from the Department of Motor Vehicles, Fair Haven Police Department and Castleton Police Department responded immediately and located the residence where the shooting occurred; they found two dead men outside the house.
Police began looking for a white Ford Bronco that belonged to Labartino; a short time later the truck was spotted traveling north on Route 30 in Castleton. Fair Haven Police Chief William Humphries said he stopped the Ford Bronco just north of North Road on Route 30.
Labartino was driving the truck; he was taken into custody and later to the Rutland State Police barracks.
The victims were taken to the Medical Examiner's office for autopsy; preliminary assessment at the scene found they had been shot.
Vermont State Police are asking for anyone who observed a white Ford Bronco II, bearing Vermont registration EMM973, during the afternoon of Wednesday, February 12, 2014 in the areas of Hubbardton, Castleton, or Fair Haven, to please contact the state police at 802-773-9101 or may submit an anonymous tip to www.vtips.info or send a text to "CRIMES" (274637) with keyword: VTIPS.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.