Woman jailed in fraud caseFebruary 12,2014Woman is jailed
on fraud charge
A Rutland woman was jailed on $10,000 bail after denying charges Tuesday she tried to get money from a vulnerable adult.
Stephanie Baker, 27, returned to jail after denying a felony charge in Rutland criminal court that she violated an abuse prevention order when she allegedly contacted a member of her family and asked for money.
In October, Baker pleaded innocent in Rutland criminal court to a felony charge of financial exploitation of a vulnerable adult. Court records state Baker used a family memberís credit card to rack up more than $7,000 in charges without the cardholders knowledge or permission.
Baker was ordered by the court to not contact the family member, but according to court records, Baker called the family member asking for money.
The family member, in turn, called police, records state, and Baker was jailed on $15,000 bail. During the arraignment, Judge Theresa DiMauro lowered bail to $10,000.
Baker is being held in Rutland jail, according to the Department of Corrections.MORE IN This Just InBAGHDAD ó Attacks across Iraq, including a series of bombings targeting shoppers in a Sunni... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.