Peace Corps ranks Vermont collegesFebruary 12,2014MIDDLEBURY — Middlebury College was ranked 14th among small colleges by the Peace Corps in its 2014 rankings of the top volunteer-producing colleges and universities across the country, with 12 undergraduate alumni currently volunteering worldwide.
The school last ranked as a Peace Corps’ Top College in 2010.
Middlebury alumni are currently serving as volunteers in Botswana, China, Jordan, Kenya, Malawi, Paraguay, Rwanda, Senegal, Togo and Uganda. They work in areas including agriculture, education, environment and health.
Since the first days of the Peace Corps, 481 Middlebury alumni from have traveled abroad to serve as volunteers.
Middlebury was one of two Vermont schools ranked as a Peace Corps’ 2014 Top College, with the University of Vermont claiming the national No. 5 spot among medium schools.
In 2013, Vermont ranked No. 1 in the nation for the highest per capita number of Peace Corps volunteers, with 49 currently-serving Peace Corps volunteers calling the Green Mountain State home.MORE IN This Just InBAGHDAD — Attacks across Iraq, including a series of bombings targeting shoppers in a Sunni... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.