Dorset woman killed in crashStaff Report | February 12,2014SANDGATE - A Dorset woman is dead after a one-car crash on West Sandgate Road in Sandgate on Tuesday afternoon, according to the Vermont State Police.
In a press release, police said that Melissa Harris, 26, of Dorset, was driving a 2012 Ford Escape west on West Sandgate Road when the sport utility vehicle crossed the center line, left the southern edge of the road and struck a utlity pole.
The Vermont State Police were called to the scene around 3:25 p.m.
Harris was taken by the Arlington Rescue Squad to Southwestern Vermont Medical Center in Bennington with serious injuries. She later died from her injuries, police said.
The cause of the crash is still under investigation.
The Arlington Fire Department provided assistance at the scene.Anyone with information or who may have witnessed the crash is encouraged to contact the Vermont State Police at the Shaftsbury Barracks at 442-5421.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.