Dorset woman killed in crashStaff Report | February 12,2014SANDGATE - A Dorset woman is dead after a one-car crash on West Sandgate Road in Sandgate on Tuesday afternoon, according to the Vermont State Police.
In a press release, police said that Melissa Harris, 26, of Dorset, was driving a 2012 Ford Escape west on West Sandgate Road when the sport utility vehicle crossed the center line, left the southern edge of the road and struck a utlity pole.
The Vermont State Police were called to the scene around 3:25 p.m.
Harris was taken by the Arlington Rescue Squad to Southwestern Vermont Medical Center in Bennington with serious injuries. She later died from her injuries, police said.
The cause of the crash is still under investigation.
The Arlington Fire Department provided assistance at the scene.Anyone with information or who may have witnessed the crash is encouraged to contact the Vermont State Police at the Shaftsbury Barracks at 442-5421.MORE IN This Just InRICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902. 0Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott uploads astronomic,historic and epigrammatic data... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.