Nearly 700 bags of heroin hidden under 5-year-oldFebruary 02,2014By Josh O'Gorman
WESTMINSTER - A Springfield woman was jailed after police said they found nearly 700 bags of heroin beneath her child's car seat.
Eugenia Emerson, 33, is facing a felony charge of heroin trafficking after police stopped her on Interstate 91 Saturday night for what they described as defective equipment and a lane violation.
While stopped, police walked a canine unit around the exterior of the car, and when the dog signaled there were drugs inside, Emerson gave police permission to search her car, police said.
According to police, they found 690 bags of heroin under the cushion where her 5-year-old child was seated.
Emerson was taken to Springfield jail on $5,000 bail. She was free as of Sunday afternoon, according to the Department of Corrections.
Emerson is scheduled to appear March 18 in Brattleboro criminal court. Police also issued her tickets for defective equipment and a lane violation.MORE IN This Just InRep. Peter Fagan faces a challenge from James Candon. Full StoryMANCHESTER — Voters will have some choices among an incumbent, a returning veteran, and a few... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1871, After long summer drought comes simultaneous devastating upper Midwest wildfires; Chicago city center in ruins; in 1967, after brief firefight, Ernesto 'Che' Guevara captured alive in Bolivian jungle camp.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City aldermen discuss future of recreation department facilities, three bears killed in interstate crash, town school principal rewards students' good reading habits, fight at city jail sends a man to hospital.